Saturday 12 October 2013

Day 242 Tuesday 8th October 2013; Location - West Eucla Bight

What a beautiful day if it was not for all the flies and the wind.

We packed up camp and headed back to Highway No1 and headed into Eucla and crossed over from WA into SA.

The boarder check here is for people travelling west we dont have to be ispected until we get to Ceduna as we are travelling eastward. Fresh fruit and vegis for a couple more days yet. :)

We stopped at the service station and whilst James frequented the facilities Rena got to play on the playground where there was a very old tractor, and all the play equipment looked like it had been there since I was a kid. There was also the Eucla Whale, a big whale at that welcoming people to visit Albany.

We then headed down to the Old Telegraph Station ruins to have a look, we got out the car and instantly we were hit with the very hot dry wind. Was so hot it was burning your eyes, and yes there were thousands of flies.

We had a look at the ruins. I would imagine that it will not be long at all before the ruins are overtaken by the sand dunes. Makes you wonder if they will take away some of the sand to keep it as a tourist attraction or let nature take its course.

It is hard to believe that white man and the introduction of rabbits could cause such devistation, apparently there was a rabbit plague that ate all the dune vegetation and cause the dunes to destabalise and this is the result many years later.

We hopped back in the car, was nice to be out of the wind and flies and in the comfort of air conditioning again.

Back to highway no1 and on to the Great Australian Bight were we called in to the three lookouts, it was just so hot and windy and the flies. Yeah I know I am going on a bit about the flies, but OMG they are so bad.

We got to the Kidnippy Rest Area and tried to find a spot out of the wind with some shade, but didnt have much success. We set up camp, and we went inside as the flies and march flies were so bad you just couldnt be outside.

Not long after we were having a cuppa (thanks James for putting up with the flies and making me a cuppa) and I heard a buzzing sound and thought it might be march flies swarming us, but unfortunately it was bees swarming, they had invaded the sink to get to water and were starting to cover the canvas on the camper and trying to get inside as well. Well as I am alergic to bees, so my wonderful hubby who is not alergic to bees went outside to try and persuade the bees to move on. All he had was a can of Off! and a tea towel :).

Well we were all very glad to see sunset, it was still stinking hot, but at least the flies had gorn away, James cooked dinner, but was invaded by flying ants attracted to the light.

I peeled all the vegis inside as I was going to make a vegetable lasagna and vegi bake to freeze to use up the last of the fresh vegis, but when I went outside to try and cook them I failed miserably, the flying ants just got in to everything, so I bagged it all up and put it in the freezer, as I could take frozen vegis across the boarder.

I did manage to cook the corned beef with only a few flying ants involved. I managed to cook it in the dream pot, love my dream pot, has made such a difference on this trip.

Hopped on the net and was suppose to of got to between 39 and 41 today and I believe it, felt hotter. No air conditioning in the camper trailer, oh yes i do, its called open all the windows and let the hot air blow through :) ahhh they joys of camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment